EORI number is required to move goods between the UK and the EU from 1st of January 2021

If you do not have an EORI, you may have additional costs and delays. For example, if HMRC is unable to ship your items, you may have to pay a storage fee.

Generally, you do not need an EORI number:

  • to provide services;
  • to move goods between Northern Ireland and Ireland.

If you use a postal or parcel company, they will tell you if you need an EORI number.

If you already have EORI.

From January 1st, 2021, you will need an EORI number which starts with GB to move goods between the UK and other countries. Check your EORI number. Ask for a new one if yours doesn’t start with GB.

To apply, you will need:

  • The number of the VAT taxpayer and the effective date - indicated on the VAT taxpayer's registration certificate;
  • National insurance number - if you are an individual or sole proprietor;
  • Single Taxpayer Reference (UTR) - search for your UTR if you don’t know it;
  • Start date and Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) code - these are listed in the Chamber of Companies register;
  • Government gateway user ID and password;

If you need a government user gateway, use:

  • one that fits your business or organisation
  • yours, if you apply as an individual

If you do not already have a user ID, you can create one when you apply.

How do I get an EORI number?

Apply for an EORI number as soon as possible. It can take up to a week to get it. If you need help Persona Finance Ltd is ready to help and register your business for FREE. Just drop an email to or leave the request on .

Accounting and Finance